MINUTES


AGMs

Management Committee Meetings   2017    2016    2015    2013-14

 


2018

 

 

KHLGA Committee Meeting 12th November 2018

Present: Korehan Dora (Chair), Les Bateson, Saeed Kanuga, Heather Mallinder,
John Sissons, Martin Spatcher, John Wetherell, Reg Wickings

In Attendance: Rita Wetherell

Apologies: David Pipe, Nick Whiteley

1. Opening address by Korehan Dora

KD began by expressing his thanks to everyone who had recently participated in the work in laying the new water pipes. This project was possible from start to finish due the efforts of all who had assisted.  Special recognition and thanks are due to Ben (plot 29A) who co-ordinated the project and was directly involved virtually every day.

KD Thanked Heather Mallinder for producing the agenda for this meeting.

KD informed the committee that he and John Wetherell had attended the recent BALGF meeting and found it very informative. A great number of details and options were covered regarding the new leases. Numerous recommendations were presented. A draft version of a new lease is expected shortly from Tony Chase and the committee will hold a meeting to discuss this, ready for a presentation to the AGM in 2019.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting, October 8th 2018

It was agreed the October minutes were a true record.

3. Matters arising from the minutes:

KD informed the meeting that the electrician required to carry the safety checks/tests was fully booked until January 2019. It was agreed to wait for him to provide a date on which he could attend.

SK has arranged the next ‘Lettings Open Day’ for Sunday 18th November. The top 11 on the waiting list have been contacted. Currently, at least four from the list have confirmed that they will attend.

4. Secretary’s report

N/A

5a. Treasurer’s report

1 Account       £14036.08
2 Account       £1716.10
Shop                £1465.01
Cash                £299.51
Cheques          £119.21
Total                £17635.91

5b. Shop report

Cash in hand at 12th November 2018          £89.45
Add Recorded Sales 16/10                              £15.40
Add Recorded Sales 18/10 to 6/11                 £68.30
Less purchases 11/10                                      -£26.80
Banked                                                                £146.35
Cash in hand   12/11                                          £0.00
Bank balance at 8/10                                        £1318.36
Bank balance at 12/11                                       £1464.71
Supplies to polytunnel this year                     £113.40
Recorded shop sales so far this year              £2258.40

Machine Use Account at 12th November 2018

Cash in hand 8/10                                              £92.93
Add Income 10/11                                               £9.00  
 Total                                                                      £101.93
Paid to Treasurer 12/11                                     -£100.00
Total cash in hand at 08/10/2018                    £1.93

 

6. Site manager’s report

Inspections to 5th October resulted in 8 notices being issued.

7. Letting managers’ report

N/A

8. Events

Christmas Buffet – Sun 16th Dec 2018
Rent Days – 25th Nov and 2nd Dec

9. Work group/Volunteers’ day

There was a great turnout of volunteers on the 11th November.  The trench was filled with earth. KD expressed sincere thanks on behalf of the committee to all the volunteers for their contribution.
KD thanked John Wetherell for organising the lunch for the volunteers.

Please note Volunteers’ day is the 2nd Sunday every month.

10. Any other Business

A new rotovator folder to be included in the machine room.

KD congratulated RW on entering the site for the BALGF Annual Allotments Competition for which KHLGA won the Spencer May Cup.
Risk assessment discussed especially in respect of ear defenders.
Warning notices required re barbed wire present on the site.
Re.  Risk assessment document.  MS to be advised of any additions and deletions.

HM  to arrange a for ceramic plaque to accompany the proposed tree paid for by the daughter of Helen and George Phillip in memory of her parents,

Charity donation to Drumbeat deferred for the time being (request from Pam Dowling)

 MEETING CLOSED AT 21.22 

ACTION POINTS OUTSTANDING

All committee members to read/study the H & S assessment log and make any alterations (if required). H & S Regulations to be implemented in December.
SK to determine boundary fence repair/s required adjacent to plot 72.
Excess soil from new water supply installations to be removed and redistributed across site.
KHLGA new lease meeting carried over.
Manuals for all the equipment in use on the site to be kept in the office and to be made available online.
Health and Safety risk assessment protocols to be formalised.
HM to receive suggestions for the inscription for the memorial plaque.


 

 

KHLGA Committee Meeting 8th October 2018

Present: Korehan Dora (Chair), Les Bateson, Heather Mallinder, David Pipe, John Sissons, John Wetherell, Reg Wickings , Nick Whiteley

In Attendance: Rita Wetherell , Ben Mansour

Apologies: Martin Spatcher, Saeed Kanuga

1.Opening address by Korehan Dora

KD thanked Nick Whitely for installing the new cookers and hobs in the clubhouse. Thanks to all those involved with the hard work in tracing the water leak.

Thanks to Pam Dowling for her  voluntary cleaning of the toilets. He also thanked Heather Mallinder  for the production of the Agenda for the Committee meetings. KD thanked Saeed and Richard Mildenhall, in their absence, for the work they carried out in cutting down the willow tree that the neighbour was complaining about.

KD made all aware that Plot Holder Ben Mansour, who was in attendance during the meeting, would be giving us of his observations with regards to the water leak.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting, September 11th 2018

Suggestions were put forward for ways to distribute the minutes. It was agreed to continue the procedure of publishing the Draft Minutes as soon as possible after the Committee meeting and the Agreed Minutes after the following meeting.

It was agreed the September minutes were a true record.

3. Matters arising from the minutes:

Korehan reported that 6 charities had been put forward by the plotholders for the selection of a charity to receive the gate money from the May Open Day. The Committee voted that the receipts should go the Drumbeat KD bought the 2 x Cooker and 2 x Hob on behalf of the Allotment with 5 years guarantee. Each year the company will degrease and service the appliances.

Following the installation of the new cooking facilities all electrical equipment on the site will undergo ‘Portable Appliance Testing’ (PAT). KD Action point

John Wetherall suggested, and the Committee agreed, that manuals for all the equipment in use on the site should be kept in the Office and be available online.

Korehan and Heather Mallinder had contacted the plotholders involved in the alleged harassment issue and the matter is now closed.

Weed notices will continue to be sent , even where extenuating circumstances have been logged. These notices are logged , purely for the Allotment records.

KHLGA lease options, members urged to attend BALGAF meetings to enable a decision on the appropriate protocol for KHLGA.

It was established that KD is enabled to transact the KHLGA bank account.

Health and Safety risk assessment protocols will be formalised at the November Committee meeting.

Ben Mansour explained what the investigation into the water leak had involved and the process to repair and improve the system. A trench will be dug and twin 25mm polypipes will be laid. John Wetheral contacted a contractor during the meeting who has agreed to dig the trench. Additional  stand pipes will be installed.

The committee thanked Ben for his work and for the information he presented. 

4. Secretary’s report

  N/A

5a. Treasurer’s report

1 Account             £13916.37
2 Account             £2163.39
Shop                     £1318.39
Cash                     £479.51
Cheques               £0.00
Total                      £17877.66

5b. Shop report

Cash in hand at 3rd September 2018            £0.00
Add Recorded Sales  4/09 to 7/10                 £101.45
Less purchases   30/09  -£12.00                    £89.45
Cash in hand         8/10                                  £89.45
Bank balance at    8/10                                  £1318.36
Supplies to polytunnel this year                     £108.60
Recorded shop sales so far this year             £2171.10

 Machine Use A/c at 8th September 2018

Cash in hand 3/09                                            £70.53
Add Income  23/09                                           £27.40    £97.93
Less fuel bill  03/09                                          £20.00    £77.93
Add income  08/10                                           £15.00    £92.93
Total cash in hand at 08/10/2018                     £92.93

6. Site manager’s report

Inspections to  5th October issued 8 notices

7. Letting managers’ report

Plot 57B  Jenny and Chris Hussell advised the committee that they are relinquishing plot. They are offering their plot before rent day arrives to newcomers.

8. Events (suggested dates)

Bonfire night – Sat 3rd Nov 2018 – Please bring your own food/refreshments.

Christmas Buffet – Sun 16th Dec 2018

Rent Day – 25th Nov – 2nd Dec

9. Work group/Volunteers’ day

Please note Volunteers’ day is the 2nd Sunday in the month

10. Any other Business

Note re maintaining Site security.
Ensure the gates are locked having entered or exited the  site.
It was agreed by the Committee that Richard Mildenhall shall have access to Office, Machine Room etc. while working on site.

11. Meeting ended at 21:22

ACTION POINTS OUTSTANDING
SK  
fence repair
SK to arrange lettings day

ITEMS ACTIONED SINCE MEETING
KD & HM pursued mediation option.
KD cookers and hobs purchased
NW installation of cookers and hobs
KD arranged mailing re charity donation


 

KHLGA Committee Meeting 10th September 2018            

Present: Korehan Dora (Chair), Les Bateson, Saeed Kanuga, Heather Mallinder, David Pipe, John Sissons, Martin Spatcher, John Wetherell, Nick Whiteley

In Attendance: Rita Wetherell

Apologies: Reg Wickings

  1. Opening address by Korehan Dora

KD reported that he had received the good news from Reg and his wife that the operation had been successful and that he is expected to return home on the 11th September. The committee sent him their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

KD acknowledged and thanked Saeed Kanuga for producing the minutes in the past number of months. In recent times the minute taking and producing the minutes has been a shared task between Nick, taking the minutes and SK producing.

KD announced that DP has kindly accepted the task of producing the minutes and he thanked him for that on behalf of the Committee.

KD thanked the volunteers   Gerry,  Jo, Moira, Simon, Sophie, Tim and Les Bateson for completing the tasks scheduled for this month’s Work Day. He also thanked John Wetherell for cooking lunch for the volunteers.

KD raised the issue of the delay in publishing the minutes in accordance with the one week shown in the ‘Handbook’. KD advised that the minutes can only be published having been agreed at the following meeting.

KD has received some suggestions for charities for the donations from the May Open Day proceeds. These and additional suggestions would be discussed at the next Committee meeting.

KD thanked all the individual plotholders as well as the committee members for their help in supporting the Beekeepers September Open Day.

Minutes of the previous meeting, July 9th 2018

It was agreed the minutes were a true record.

Matters arising from the minutes:

KD stated that, due to time restrictions, it had not been possible to purchase the two Electric Hob/ Ovens as agreed committee previously. He assured the committee that he would have this implemented this month. He would ask the Electrician to check and PAT inspect all electrical points and the Club House wiring in preparation for the installation of the new cooking appliances in order to conform with the HES requirements.

recent harassment complaint from a plotholder. It has not been possible to arrange to mediation. KD will write to both parties to arrange a meeting that will include support attendance by committee member Heather Mallinder

The complaint from plotholders receiving weed notices, despite informing the committee of their personal circumstances, was discussed. As this has been an issue for a number of years, it was agreed that the plotholders would be asked to provide a strategy to resolve the situation. Notices would still be issued as a matter of record keeping.

As it had been decided that the full September Open Day was not viable, a morning ‘Pop-Up’ was arranged with a Beekeeping display. A pancake stall was organised by Anne Schumann and Ross. The sale of cakes, pancakes, vegetables and flowers raised £69.51 for the allotment.

Some Committee members had not received Health & Safety documents for review and a repeat mailing will be made. ACTION KD

A Health & Safety terms and conditions record has been produced for use with strimmer loan. A similar document will be produced for use of mowers. As outlined in the August minutes these records will be archived. ACTION DP

the purchase a new wood chipper.

It was suggested that it was not necessary to buy the Chipper this year, as all necessary pruning had been done and the arisings are waiting to be burnt. As it had previously been agreed that a new chipper was needed, KD called a committee vote. On a show of hands the purchase was agreed.

ACTION  DP

SK to carry out some fence repairs by plot 72. ACTION SK

KHLGA lease options held over as Reg indisposed.

As the Treasurer is in hospital, KD was asked if he could transact the KHLGA bank account.   KD said that he is registered with the account. He would discuss with the Treasurer how he would operate the account in future if necessary.

As LB is the only committee member competent in the use of the new Push Strimmer he will be showing committee members how it is used. ACTION LB

 Secretary’s report
N/A

Treasurer’s report
To follow

Shop report

Cash in hand at 13th August 2018              £0.00
Recorded Sales  14/08 to 02/09                 £144.85
Less purchases   24/08                             -£12.00
Banked                24/08                               £132.85
Bank balance at 13/08                                £1385.51
Total on deposit at 10/09/2018                    £1318.36
Supplies to polytunnel this year                  £108.60
Recorded shop sales so far this year         £2069.65

Machine Use A/c at 10th September 2018

Cash in hand 13/08                                      £36.93
Add Income  22/08     £20.60                       £57.53
Less fuel bill  03/09     £20.00                      £37.53
Add income  03/09     £33.00                       £70.53
Total cash in hand at 03/09/2018                 £70.53   

  1. Site manager’s report

Inspections to 5th September issued 12 notices
Plots  2, 4A, 8A, 8B , 9B, 17A, 18, 28B, 48B, 63B, 64A, 88.
Awaiting response from Drumbeat re. additional plot (89A).

  1. Letting managers’ report

At present there are 3 vacant plots available to let. One additional to be available shortly, awaiting vacating member to clear site.

Another weekend lettings day for the waiting list to be arranged. ACTION  SK

  • Events
  • No events in addition to those previously minuted. (13th August 2018)
  • Work group/Volunteers’ day
  1. Weed trees cut down, brambles, grass cutting undertaken.Some stump work still outstanding as no one qualified to use a chain saw available.The Work group/Volunteers’ Day is organised to provide a framework for plotholders to fulfil the obligation to contribute the minimum of 10 hours support each year to the KHLGA, as agreed by the plotholder when signing the Allotment Tenancy Agreement.Options for encouraging plotholders to fulfil their obligation were discussed.Approaching plotholders individually for Volunteering was considered.KD asked SK if there is a possibility that he and Richard Mildenhall could organise the next Work Day as the previous one they had organised was a great success. SK kindly accepted and will pursue. SK also outlined that there was plenty to do, in particular with regards to the Ivy along the wall.
  1. Any other Business
  2. KD asked SK for the situation with John Griffiths’ plot, as SK, Nick Whiteley and his wife were dealing with its upkeep.  SK said that JG had sent a very nice ‘Thank you’ message to the parties concerned and was happy with the results. SK said that he had suggested to JG that  ground cover fabric would be beneficial on unplanted sections of the plot and that JG said that he would consider it.
  1. Meeting ended at 21:05

ACTION POINTS OUTSTANDING

        Item 3.2  KD continue to pursue mediation option.
        Item 3.5  KD arrange mailing.
        Item 3.8  SK fence repair.
        Item 8    SK arrange lettings day.

ITEMS ACTIONED SINCE MEETING

        3.6 Mower record produced
         3.7 Chipper purchased


  

KHLGA committee meeting 13th August 2018

Present: Korehan Dora, Reg Wickings, Martin Spatcher, Saeed Kanuga, Heather Mallinder, John Sissons,

Nick Whiteley, Les Bateson, John Wetherell, David Pipe (Rita Wetherell)

Apologies: None

  1. Opening address by Chair: Korehan acknowledged and thanked Saeed for producing the minutes in the past number of months. In recent times the minute taking and producing the minutes has been a shared task between (Nick/taking the minutes and Saeed producing), due to time restrictions and other commitments at present it is perhaps time to consider for a more permanent solution for the role. Amongst ideas suggested, were either one existing committee member may take on the full role, investigate if any plot holder would be interested, or employing an official independent from outside the association. This subject will need to be addressed and come up with a decision as soon as possible.

KD suggested that due to little general interest, lack of produce etc… the September open may need to be cancelled.

KD discussed the issue of a plot holder that has made a complaint regarding another member for interfering and intimidating behaviour. Committee members were asked for their views/opinions for a resolution to this matter.

  1. Minutes of the previous meeting July 9th 2018

It was agreed the minutes were a true record.

  1. Matters arising from the minutes:

Action points:

  1. Korehan has not had the opportunity to look into the purchase of new cookers/appliances for the club house. Outstanding.
  2. Korehan: Regarding recent complaint from a plot holder, to organise mediation between the two plot holders (sit down and talk between them) perhaps a tea and chat will help resolve issues.
  3. A plot holder has said that they are still getting weed notices despite that they had informed the committee of their personal circumstances. Whilst it’s acknowledged, we have replied that notices would still be issued as a matter of record keeping. However, this continuing issue will need to be resolved in due course.
  4. It was suggested that the September open day will not occur this year, whilst Martin and others did comment that it was nevertheless important to be open to the public and plot holders as these events are enjoyed by the community and it’s not necessarily always about fund raising, it is something people know about and look forward to each year.
  5. David Pipe: Suggested and was prepared to organise the bee keepers to hold the event on the September open day as usual. The possibility of organising a smaller version 2nd September is also in consideration.
  6. Health & safety risk assessment documents sent out to all committee members via email. All members to review these documents and provide feedback, we can then implement them in due course.
  7. David Pipe: To produce health & safety notification check booklet for the purpose of the machine room hire. Plot holders to sign booklet upon hiring any machinery, this book will be kept in the machine room.
  8. Saeed: To look into purchase of wood chipper, bow saws and extendable manual pruners for small tree work.
  9. Saeed to carry out some fence repairs by plot 72. Outstanding.
  10. Korehan: To contact association members (via email) and ask them which small local charities they would like to recommend for the last May open day ‘gate’ proceeds to be donated to. Outstanding.
  11. Reg discussed the matter of KHLGA lease (due for renewal January 2021) Reg has done some research on this matter, through BALGAF and the National Allotment Society. The society have been very informative, helpful and have given us a number of guidelines & options, they have sent us detailed instructions providing us steps we should consider. One advice that has been suggested for numerous reasons is that we need trustees to sign the lease. Furthermore, this would involve work and some thought into making changes to the constitution/organisation. The National Allotment society has acknowledged that we will help and are available to offer assistance and help.

More contact and communication required with attending BALGAF meetings and studying our needs with such bodies for our future at Kent house gardens. This should be a work in progress and more details will follow.

  1. Secretary’s report

N/A

  1. Treasure’s report

Expenditure and income for August 2018 was reported and the total account balance stands at:

Account 1 £14616.87

Account 2 £3867.60

Shop          £1078.51

Cash           £513.90

Cheques   None

Total          £20076.88

5b.   Shop report

Cash in hand £0

Sales (7/7 – 13/8) £145.80

Total Bank (13/8) £1185.51

  1. Site managers report

Inspections in August issued 16 notices (some for non-numbered plots)

One NTQ and accepted.

Plot 89a (vacant disused vineyard) may be offered to Drumbeat. In discussion.

  1. Letting managers’ report

At present there are 3 vacant plots available to let. With an additional one due to be available in the near future, awaiting vacating member to clear site.

Another weekend lettings day for the waiting list will be arranged soon

  1. Events (suggested dates)

Bonfire night – Sat 3rd Nov 2018

Christmas Buffet – Sun 16th Dec 2018

Rent Day – 25th Nov – 2nd Dec

  1. Work group/Volunteers day

Weed tress cut down, brambles, grass cutting. There is a need for some chain saw work to be carried out on stumps, this will be arranged with a competent volunteer.

  1. Any other Business
  2. Meeting ended at 9.30

 

July 2018

KHLGA committee meeting 9th July 2018

Present: Korehan Dora, Reg Wickings, Martin Spatcher, Saeed Kanuga, John Sissons, Nick Whiteley, David Pipe
Absent: Les Bateson, John Wetherell, Heather Mallinder
1. Opening address by Chair: Thank you to Saeed Kanuga for letter to JG and minutes. KD endorsed the decision to cancel the Community Work Day. Thanks to volunteers who worked on JG’s plot . Agreed the June minutes were a true record with the following

2. Minutes of the previous meeting

3. It was agreed that the June minutes were a true record apart from the Shop report not being included. The attendance of Richard Mildenhall as an observer not noted and no note was made of the volunteers who attended the last Community work day as requested by the Chair.

4. Matters arising from the minutes:

Action points from June meeting :
1. Martin to respond to June Allart by email re letter sent to committee complaining about the April unscheduled site inspection on 25th April. Done
2. Reg to make a list of inspection dates for the upcoming year. Done
3. John Sissons to make a check list for machine hire and to highlight the full use of safety kit, such as hard hats/harness or strap for strimmer use, appropriate foot wear etc.
A copy of a disclaimer issued by BALGF has been received. The suggestion is the disclaimer is to be used when hiring out or loaning all equipment. It should be on hand for plotholders to sign when they take out mowers etc. David Pipe to get a duplicate book for this purpose Outstanding
4. Korehan has contacted an electrician re testing our electrics and to install cookers + hobs. Korehan to purchase new cookers plus hobs for the club house and have them installed first by the supplier (as the electrician that’s due to carry out the checks does not carry out installation of these appliances) Nick Whiteley has offered to install the cookers/hobs if the supplier will not provide the service. Thereafter, all the electrical checks will be carried out in the club house and across buildings across the site. Korehan suggested we buy free standing cookers, instead of hobs and ovens. The meeting rejected the proposal and decided to go ahead with alike for like replacement Outstanding
5. The old and inoperative/broken machines stored for some years will now be treated as scrap. Done
6. Our Stihl FS70 strimmer has been serviced by FR Jones and now working well.
7. Inform BALGAF about correct point of contact at KHLG. In recent correspondence, emails have been sent to Richard Mildenhall as he was listed as a name attending BALGAF meetings in the past. Done
8. Saeed to carry out some fence repairs by plot 72 (this has been previously carried over due to his time restrictions) Outstanding
9. Saeed to remove asbestos (recently removed from a plot) and now stored safely prior to disposal at the Bromley dump. Outstanding
5. Secretary’s report
Vince was in the process of addressing and dealing with issues of unhappy or alienated plot holders who are not comfortable about certain members and coming into the club house – not completed
Now that Vince Turner has resigned, help was needed until a new secretary was found: Heather Mallinder said she would deal with some correspondence from tenants and Korehan Dora would deal with any other official correspondence.
It was suggested that a welcome pack could be prepared for all new plot holders and to assure and encourage existing plot holders to be a part of a community at KHLGA.
Martin Spatcher has produced a welcome pack to be made available to new plot holders. It was felt this might go some way to encouraging them to get more involved with community activities on the site. The committee would very much like to get feedback from plotholders, old and new as to what we could do to promote a feeling of community on the site and encourage plot holders to get more involved in the upkeep of the site. Activities suggested were social events generally and specifically BBQ’s, Harvest Celebration, Apple days, Grape Picking and Music evenings. The provision of Wi-Fi a TV and or bar in the clubhouse was also suggested

6. Treasurer’s report
Account Balances

1 Account 2 Account shop cash Cheques Total £
£14759 £4107.27 £1341.2 £479.05 £80.00 20766.52

May Open Day Entrance Fees   At the June meeting it was also agreed that Korehan will email all plot holders on their thoughts on which two local small charities they would like /recommend that we give the gate proceeds to. Outstanding

Shop report

Cash in Hand 4/7 Sales Purchases Banked 4/7 Bank Balance 4/7
0 £292.7 £61.29 £231.41 £1341.2 inc .15 interest

7. Site managers report
Inspection on Wednesday 6th June issued 9 notices (includes 3 for non-numbered plots)
Plot 69a NTQ served and plot surrendered prior to expiry of NTQ
8. Lettings
Plots 69a and 34b have been let.71b and 69b Vacant

9. Health & Safety
Draft risk assessments for most if not all site activities have been prepared and are presently being edited by Martin Spatcher
During the site inspections, dangerous obstacles (such as metal spikes, glazing, blocked obstructing paths and walkways etc. these potentially hazardous items/areas will be sprayed with survey paint and should be removed as soon as possible. Plot holders also have a responsibility to ensure that they either remove obstructions or at least ask for assistance in these matters. The committee reserves the right to arrange the removal of any Health and Safety hazards from individual plots using contractors if necessary.
10. Any other business
11. Meeting closed at 9.45


 

June 2018

KHLGA committee meeting 11th June 2018

Present: Korehan Dora, Reg Wickings, Martin Spatcher, Saeed Kanuga, Heather Mallinder, John Sissons, Nick Whiteley, Les Bateson, John Wetherell, David Pipe (plot holder Richard Mildenhall)
Absent: Vince Turner
1. Opening address by Chair: Korehan informed all that unfortunately our new secretary Vince Turner had stepped down and had handed in his resignation. Vince had mentioned that he had taken on too much as the role of secretary considering other commitments he has outside of KHLG. Vince wanted to thank everyone for their support on the committee and wished everyone well for the future.

The chair informed the committee that a plot holder had written to him and complained about another plot holder’s unfriendly behaviour towards them, they felt this was an ongoing issue and wanted the committee to help and resolve the matter.
Korehan also remarked that we have also been reminded by another member that there is a code of conduct at the association.

2. Minutes of the previous meeting May 14th 2018
It was agreed that the minutes were a true record apart that no record of ‘outstanding’ plots in quality and good progress. Martin had made a list and presented it at the May meeting, it was agreed that that they would be included in the minutes. So, here is the list from the May site inspection for outstanding plots (26 total):
7a, 9a, 15a, 20a, 21, 5, 20a, 30, 31b, 45a, 44a, 35a, 32a, 68a, 55a, 59, 60, 48a, 52, 53, 73, 74, 75, 86,
87 and 78a. Well done to all these members at Kent house leisure gardens.

3. Matters arising from the minutes:
Action points:
1. Martin to respond to June Allart by email re letter sent to committee complaining about the April unscheduled site inspection on 25th April.
2. Reg to make a list of inspection dates for the upcoming year.
3. John Sissons to make a check list for machine hire and to highlight the full use of safety kit, such as hard hats/harness or strap for strimmer use, appropriate foot wear etc.
4. Korehan has contacted an electrician re testing our electrics and to install cookers + hobs. Korehan to purchase new cookers plus hobs for the club house and have them installed first by the supplier (as the electrician that’s due to carry out the checks does not carry out installation of these appliances) Nick Whiteley has offered to install the cookers/hobs if the supplier will not provide the service. Thereafter, all the electrical checks will be carried out in the club house and across buildings across the site.
5. The old and inoperative/broken machines stored for some years will now be treated as scrap.
6. Our Stihl FS70 strimmer has been serviced by FR Jones and now working well.
7. Inform BALGAF about correct point of contact at KHLG. In recent correspondence, emails have been sent to Richard Mildenhall as he was listed as a name attending BALGAF meetings in the past.
8. Saeed to carry out some fence repairs by plot 72 (this has been previously carried over due to his time restrictions)Saeed to remove asbestos (recently removed from a plot) and now stored safely prior to disposal at the Bromley dump.

4. Secretary’s report
Vince was in the process to address and deal with issues of unhappy or alienated plot holders who are not comfortable about certain members and coming into the club house – not completed.
It was suggested that a welcome pack could be prepared for all new plot holders and to assure and encourage existing plot holders to be a part of a community at KHLG.

Reg emailed plot holders explaining the value and need for volunteers to help out on the monthly Sunday ‘work days’. As result, we had a very good turn with a greater number of volunteers and the work day was very productive. A number of volunteers remarked that that they felt it was better organised and lunch was served as usual. It was agreed that all future volunteers on ‘work days’ will get a mention in our minutes for their help and efforts.
Sunday 10th June work day volunteers: A big thank you to the following:
Sonia & Don plot 76a, Angus Watson, Sophie Carrington, Sarah plot 78b, Malcolm plot 14b, Alice ploy 55b, Freda plot 78, Chris plot 27a and Joe Black.
*There were other volunteers on the day but they missed signing in the record/recognition sheet, please remember to record your attendance on work days.
*Note: Saeed had mentioned that the use of the strimming work up until around 2.30/3 o’clock had upset a neighbouring house. A house holder had peered over a fence and seemed quite upset about the noise of the machine. Whilst this was an unusually long stint of the use of the strimming work on a vacant plot (69) we should take note and avoid noisy machinery for long periods, especially on Sunday’s.

A discussion was had as to how to fill the vacant secretary’s role, how to go about recruiting or employing a secretary for the site. This may be a possibility, but further thoughts and work would be required. In the meantime, the role will be shared as best as possible. Heather Mallinder will consider looking at dealing with in-house correspondence and Korehan agreed to deal with more official matters. These are temporary measures and we will monitor and contribute for the time being.

5. Treasure’s report
Expenditure and income for June 2018 was reported and the total account balance stands at
£17321.40
Funds from the May open day gate entrance was decided to be spilt to two local charities. It was also agreed that Korehan will email all plot holders on their thoughts on which local small charities they would like /recommend we give to.

5b. Shop report
Funds on deposit (8/6/2018) £1109.64
6. Site managers report
Inspection on Wednesday 6th June issued 30 notices (includes 6 for non-numbered plots)
Of note, plot 4a (correspondence letters from plot holder) committee will need to consider and approve reasons for unattended and plot.
Plot 69a (vineyard) plot holder has not been on site this year, inclined to send NTQ , although technically we need to wait until July, there is a history of non-cultivation.

* ‘Outstanding’ plots for the month of June: 68a, 74 and 75.

7. Health & Safety
A plot holder has injured themselves whilst using the ‘cow horn’ Stihl strimmer. The injury is probably the result of the use of the machine without the safety harness and the injury caused is neck/back pains. Therefore, a risk assessment should be issued and safety guidelines strictly followed.
Committee members that have a good understanding of the operations of the machinery & safety kit for hire (lawn mowers and strimmers) are in the future to hand out machinery. All plot holders are to be advised on the correct use of all machinery on hire with the strict instructions that they are offered and advised the compulsory use of the harness or straps (with strimmer hire) this will include the hard hats/visors/ear defenders.
Further observations of appropriate footwear will be required (no sandals or flip flops) only closed toe footwear will be required before any machinery can be offered for hire.
It was agreed that in future only committee members with good knowledge of the use of machinery are to deal with any hire of mowers/strimmers. A notice and guideline will be on display shortly to help everyone follow safety rules.

Further inspections will be carried out across the site for dangerous obstacles (such as metal spikes, glazing, blocked obstructing paths and walkways etc… these potentially hazardous areas will be sprayed with survey paint and removed as soon as possible. Plot holders also have a responsibility to ensure that they either remove obstructions or at least ask for assistance in these matters.

8. Any other business
1. John Wetherell raised the subject that the recent work day pruning had accumulated a pile of branches and without a working shredder it should be stored somewhere prior to bonfire days.
2. Saeed suggested that we invest in a good shredder with a minimum shredding capacity of at least 75mm and around 10 to 15hp. Saeed tasked to look into the purchase of a machine with a budget of £500/550.
3. Martin highlighted that two plots are now ready to let 69a and 71 (an lettings day will be arranged in the very near future)
4. Korehan would like to book 4th August club house for a family birthday celebrations.


 

June 2018

DRAFT version3 02/06/2018

Minutes of the KHLGA Management Committee held on 14 May 2018 at 19:30 at the KHLGA Clubhouse
Present: David Pipe, Heather Mallinder, John Wetherell, Korehan Dora (Chairman), Les Bateson, Martin Spatcher, Reg Wickings (Treasurer), Saeed Kanuga, John Sissons, Nick Whiteley
Apologies: Vincent Turner
Plotholders present: Rita Wetherell

1. Opening address by Chair
Korehan opened the meeting. He cosidered that the recent work on the roof of the clubhouse was a great success and he thanked those involved for their work.

2. Apologies: Vince Turner (Secretary)

3. Minutes of the previous Meeting on 9 April 2018
It was agreed that the minutes were a true record.

4. Matters arising from the minutes
Item 4: Saeed had removed the asbestos between the KHLGA wire fence and the boundary with 113 /115 Kent House Rd where a new fence has been built. The asbestos was sealed and secured in storage on site because Bromley Tip had been unable to accept it as their asbestos container was full.
Action Point 1: Saeed to make a second attempt to dispose of the asbestos at Bromley Tip.
Item 5: Reg had paid the tenant concerned the £50. Action completed.
Item 4: Vince, in a written report, asked for ideas from committee members about increasing accessibility to the clubhouse. It was suggested that a welcome pack could be prepared for new members.
Action Point 2: Vince to report further at the next meeting.
A tenant had reported at the AGM a longstanding problem of theft and damage to her plot. This was understandably distressing for the tenant concerned. Les had agreed to speak with the tenant at the last meeting and had not yet done this.
Action Point 3: Les agreed to speak with the tenant to see what the committee could do to support her and help remedy the situation.
Item 6, Action Point 1: A report by Martin, Heather and Les of their site inspection was presented to the meeting (see Item 7 Site Manager’s Report an d Notices below).
Action completed.
Item 6, Action Point 2: A particular problem was the wire fence adjacent to Plot 72b, which needed strengthening. Saeed had yet to strengthen the fencing concerned. Action Point 4: Saeed to strengthen the fencing.
Item 7, Action Point: An e-mail had been set up for lettings to be used by Saeed and Vince. Action Completed.
Item 8, Action Point 1: Action completed
Item 8, Action Point 2: Les agreed to be work group lead. Action completed.
Item 13, Rota for Hire of Equipment: It was agreed that a rota was needed for managing the hire of equipment on a Sunday was not necessary. Action Point no longer required.
Item 13, Repair of Clubhouse Roof. David had supervised the work which had been finished successfully without incident. Action completed.

5. Secretary’s Report
Due to his absence, Vince Turner presented a written report under this item:
Correspondence – There were no major items of correspondence. Responses to Inspection Notices have been forwarded to Martin as the Site Manager
Changes in Data Protection Legislation
These come into effect on 25 May, so there is time pressure to sort this out. We can only hold personal data for legitimate purposes, that is, so that we can function properly as an allotment association. As I see it, the two main things which need to be implemented are a Data Protection Policy, (see draft in separate attachment for discussion and approval) and notifying tenants (and others whose personal data we hold) about the policy, what data is held and where and how it is stored and secured and so on.
The draft policy is based on a template from National Allotment Society. A template letter for tenants is being prepared by Bromley Allotments and Leisure Garden Association, so I suggest we wait until we receive a copy of this draft. Hopefully, though, it could be received in time for the meeting, in which case I will circulate it under separate cover.
It was agreed to adopt the Data Protection Policy.

6. Treasurer’s Report
RW presented the balances in the accounts.
1 Account 13662.75
2 Account 1832.06
Shop 653.27
Cash 433.52
Cheques 6.00
Total £16587.60

Action Point: Reg to present a budget for this year’s expenditure.
RW Presented a draft budget for the year. The forecast so far of this year is a very small deficit for the year of £75.
Up to date figures for income and expenditure will change this figure and the forecast will be updated for the July Meeting

RW had received new bills from Castle Water showing a credit balance of some £2800, representing nearly two years of water supply costs. Castle Water had now agreed to refund £3260.

7. Site Manager’s Report and Notices
Martin submitted a written report and stated that notices were served in April. The inspection sub-committee had unilaterally agreed an unscheduled inspection on 25 April, which was effectively the April inspection postponed by three weeks. It was carried out because many plots were covered in dandelions and other weeds which would have seeded and in fact did so in many cases. A second inspection of some plots was carried out as advertised on 9 May. No further notices were sent following the May inspection.
);
44 plots received notices of which 13 were “non starters”and had done no work this year. These 13 were reinspected on May 9th.
.
2 3b 4a 6 8a 8b 9b 11b2 12a 14a 14b 16 18
19 20b 24a 25b 26a 34b 35b 36b 37b 40a 42 43a
45b 46b 48b 55b 57a 58a 58b 59b 61b 62b1 62b2 63b 65b
70 72b 79a 79b 88 89a

We also agreed to list the 26 “outstanding” plots.

7a 9a 15a 20a 21 5 20b 30
31b 45a1 44a 35a 32a 68a 55a 59
60 48a 52 53 73 74 75 86
87 78a

 

The leak by plot 74 had been fixed by David Pipe.

Action Point 1: Vince would reply to a letter of complaint from a plot holder about the unscheduled inspection.

Plot holders should be aware that foxes are chewing through lines used to make straight lines for digging.
Previously if plot holders had let the committee know reasons why they have been absent or not able to look after their plot, in many cases an inspection notice would not be served. However, it was agreed that the personal circumstances of plot holders should not be made public and in the interests of transparency and consistency a notice may be served. Saeed mentioned that the site should have a third strimmer and he had obtained a quote from a local company for one at £300. It was agreed that Saeed purchase a third strimmer.
Action Point 2: Saeed to purchase a strimmer.

8. Lettings
There had been no lettings since the last meeting. There were the following vacant plots: 12b, 34b, 69a, 69b, 71 (needs strimming before letting). People on the waiting list had been recently contacted to see if they wished to continue on the list. Several had replied.
A plot used as a vineyard should be let out as a normal plot and cleared, if a suitable plot holder could not be found.

9. Work Group/Volunteers report
At the last work group tents were put up and barbecues were tested. The same volunteers turned up. It was suggested that new ways needed to be found to encourage members to volunteer for work groups.

10. Shop Report
John reported on the level of sales.

Shop sales to 12/5
-purchases=Cash in hand Shop Account Balance on deposit Machine hire – expenses= surplus
Machine Hire
– paid to Treasurer =
Cash in hand
£549.75 – £145.15 =£404.60 £990.23 £207.21-£60.80= 146..41 £100 = £46.41

11. Open Day Event Sunday 20 May
It was agreed to start bringing equipment and goods down on the Wednesday before the event and put the barbecue tent up on Friday evening. Saeed would be coordinating resources on Saturday, so committee members were asked to attend to help him.

12.Health & Safety on Site
Korehan had obtained a quote of £250 from a company to do electrical (‘PAT’) testing of appliances which was urgently needed. It was agreed that Korehan instruct the company to carry out the work.
Action Point: Korehan to instruct the company.

13.Any other business
John W asked whether the committee could look at modernising the clubhouse cookers, hobs and taps. It was agreed that Korehan get prices for new electric ovens and hobs.
Action Point: Korehan to obtain quotes for replacement electric ovens and hobs for the clubhouse.
Saeed mentioned that the walls of the clubhouse needed redecoration.
Action Point None agreed
John S suggested he would like a sign to be put up in the machine room stating policies and procedures about the hiring of machinery. It was agreed that the matter of the health and safety of using machinery needed to be reviewed.
Action Point: Discuss at next meeting
Date of next meeting 11th of June
There being no other business the meeting closed at 9.45


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *